Dr. Alaa Garad, CEO of Investors in People UAE and Chairman of the Salford GCC Advisory Board.
In addition to HR Business Partner & Excellence Adviser, Chair | Advisory Board, University of Salford in GCC and Chairing the OLC MENA, www.olcmena.com I act as the Superintendent at International Performance Excellence, IPE. I holds Bachelor of Commerce, Master Degree in Quality Management and PhD in Organizational Learning and Excellence. I am a Certified EFQM Assessor, licensed IIP Specialist, Chief Examiner and Juror at several national and regional quality and excellence awards such as:
1. Dubai Quality Award, (Juror)
2. Sheikh Khalifa Excellence Award,
3. Abu Dhabi Government Award for Performance Excellence,
4. Ras Al Khaimah Government Quality Award (Head of Assessment Panel)
5. King Abdul-Aziz Quality Award in Saudi Arabia. (Team Leader)
6. Dubai Human Development Award (Advisor and Juror)
7. Investors in People International (The first Arab Advisor and Assessor)
8. ISO 26000:2010 Social Responsibility (Member in UAE National Committee)
9. Ideas Arabia Competition (Judge)
I am an active member in several professional bodies such as the Academy of Management, the International Society for Performance Improvement, the Society for Organizational Learning, International Foundation for Action Learning (IFAL) and the American Society for Quality. My areas of expertise include Service Level Agreements (SLA), Balanced Scorecard, EFQM Excellence Model, Investors in People Standard, Learning Organizations, Action Learning, Experiential Learning, Benchmarking, Cross-Training, After-Action Review, Mystery Shopping, ISO Standards, and Feedback Systems.
- Quality Enhancement at Higher Education by QAA Scotland, Abu-Dhabi, 2013
- Corporate Governance in Higher Education Institutions, 2012, Committee for Academic Accreditation, Ministry of Higher Education, UAE.
- EFQM 2010 Upgrade European Assessor, Abu-Dhabi, UAE 2011
- Licensed Advisor, Invertors in People International, UK, 2010
- Enterprise Architecture, methodologies and applications, by John Zachman, Dubai, 2010
- Investors in People (IIP) Assessor, UK
- PG Certificate in Teaching Higher Education
- HACCP Level 2 Award in Food Safety, Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH), Dubai
- Policy Deployment using “Hoshin Kanri”, Dubai Quality Award, Dubai
- Excellence Model as a tool for self-assessment, Dubai Quality Award, DED, Dubai
- University Teaching and Learning Methods, University of Wollongong, Dubai
- Changes to EFQM Model Assessment Process, DED, Dubai Govt.
- Six Sigma Green Belt, Union National Bank, QAI
- Research Process and how to get PhD out of it, Aarhus Business School, Aarhus, Denmark
- Assessor at Sheikh Mohd. Bin Rashid Al-Maktoum Business Award (MRM)
- Team Leader, Sheikh Khalifa Excellence Award (SKEA)
- Sheikh Khalifa Excellence Award (Based on EFQM Excellence Model)
- ISO 9001: 2000 IRCA Accredited Lead Auditor
- Lead Assessor, Dubai Quality Award Secretariat, Dubai Government, UAE
- Quality management System Internal Auditor, SGS Dubai
- ISO 9001:2000 QMS Internal Auditor TQMI/T4T
- Assessor, representing UAE in the International World Skills (IVTO) Competition, St. Gallen, Switzerland.
- Assessor, Dubai Quality Award Secretariat, Dubai Government, UAE
- Wide range of IT and teaching methods training courses, In-house training
- Networking Technologies, Microsoft Systems Engineer (MCSE)
- Wide range of training courses on pedagogy and teaching techniques, UAE University and German Agency for Technical Cooperation (GTZ), UAE
- Garad A. (2012), Role of Quality Awards on National Economy, Alexandria, Egypt.
- Garad A. (2012), Organisational Learning Practices, OLC 2012, UAE.
- Garad A. (2012), Change Management as a Platform for Business Excellence, Middle East Change Management Conference, ACMP, Abu-Dhabi.
- Garad A. (2011), Can Corporate Universities become a vehicle for Organisational Learning, European Corporate Universities Forum, Dubai.
- Garad A. (2011), Succeed through People, Effective Application of Investors in People Framework, Sharing Best Practice Conference, Dubai Government, UAE.
- Sharifi S. and Garad A. (2011), Organizational Learning and Organizational Excellence, The Two Sides of the Same Coin, ACCESS Conference, Zayed Higher Care Organisation, Abu-Dhabi, UAE.
- Garad A. (2011), Effective Benchmarking in Hospitals, Arab Health Congress, Dubai, UAE.
- Garad A. (2011), Introducing Investors in People (IIP) Framework, Bahrain Benchmarking Conference, Kingdom of Bahrain.
- Garad A. (2011), Benchmarking, A proven Mechanism for Excellence, 2nd Process Excellence Conference, IPQA, Abu-Dhabi, UAE.
- Garad A. (2011) Organisational Learning and Business Excellence, the two Sides of the Same Coin: Cases Studies from the United Arab Emirates, unpublished PhD Thesis, University of Salford, England.
- Sharifi, S. and Garad A. (2010), Organizational Learning and Organizational Excellence, The Two Sides of the Same Coin, 17th ECLO International Conference, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Garad A. and Ellaham S. (2010), EFQM Excellence Model, A Paradigm Shift in Healthcare, Hospital Build Congress, Dubai, UAE.
- Garad A. (2010), EFQM Excellence model: A base of quality management systems of state and educational institutions in United Arab Emirates, Lifelong Learning Programme Conference, Riga, Latvia.
- Garad A. (2010), The Role of Process Performance on SLA and Customer Satisfaction, 2nd Process Excellence Conference, IPQA, Dubai, UAE.
- Garad A. (2010), Towards a Learning Government, Dubai Government Forum, Dubai UAE.
- Garad A. (2009), Benchmarking: An Effective Organisational Learning Mechanism, 4th GBN International Benchmarking Conference, Manamah, Kingdom Bahrain.
- Garad A. (2009), Knowledge Management between Standards and Practice, Ras Al-Khaima Knowledge Management Conference, RAK, UAE.
- Garad A. (2009), Effective Project Management in Government, Dubai Government PM Forum, Dubai, UAE.
- Garad A. (2008), Quality Awards, Why and How, Libyan Quality Association Annual Conference, Tripoli, Libya.
- Garad A. (2008), Quality Awards: A proven methodology for organizational Excellence, Ras Al Khaima Government Sharing Best Practice Conference, UAE.
- Garad A. (2008), Quality Awards: A Tool for Effective Benchmarking and Self-Assessment, Sharjah Government Sharing Best Practice Conference, UAE.
- Garad A. (2007), The Effective Quality Manager, International Business Research Conference, Wollongong University, Dubai, UAE.
- Garad A. (2007), Supply Chain Management in Healthcare: A TQM Perspective, Tawam Hospital Suppliers Forum, Al-Ain, UAE.
- Garad A. (2003), Series of Articles on Quality in Schools, Al-Khaleej Newspaper (Arabic), UAE.
• Process Enhancement using TQM Principles, RAK Government, 2012
• Internal Accredited DGEP Self-Assessment for Dubai Government Departments, 8 sessions throughout 2012.
• Patient Safety Approaches, Abu-Dhabi Medical Congress, October, 2010
• Paradigm Shift, Applying EFQM Model in Healthcare, June, 2010
• ESNAAD Assessment for HR and Administration Department
• Submission preparation for Union National Bank (Gold Winner, Sheikh Khalifa Excellence Award and Dubai Quality Award)
• Submission Preparation, Abu-Dhabi Authority for Heritage and Culture (ADACH) for Abu-Dhabi Government Award for Excellence
• Submission preparation for Dubai Police, Dubai Government Excellence Programme
• Submission Preparation for Ajman Police, Ajman Excellence Award.
• Submission Preparation for Al-Benaa Real Estate for Sheikh Khalifa Excellence Award.
• High Performing Teams Workshop to Unilever Arabia Team.
• Effective Benchmarking: A Strategy for Business Excellence, Public Course (Dubai and Abu-Dhabi)
• Self-Assessment Workshop based on Abu-Dhabi Government Excellence Award Model, Abu-Dhabi Culture and Heritage Authority (ADACH)
• Applications of Balanced Scorecard and its linkage to EFQM model, Dubai Police
• Participant at the Learning Souq of the 3rd Global Forum, Society for Organizational Learning
• Speaker, 2nd Quality Congress, Middle East Quality Association
• Keynote Speaker at Sharjah Best Practices Conference, Sharjah Chamber of Commerce, Sharjah, UAE (http://www.seea.ae)
• Keynote Speaker at First Contractors Forum of Tawam Hospital, Al-Ain, UAE (http://www.tawam-hosp.gov.ae/CPP/speakers.htm)
• Advanced Manager, Unilever Arabia, UAE
• Speaker to the Leaders Preparation Program (Edaad) at Sharjah Government, UAE
• Kaizen (Continuous Improvement), the Jordanian Society of Engineers, Abu-Dhabi, UAE
• Speaker at the 5th International Business Research Conference, Dubai, UAE
• Assessors preparation for the Presidential Award, Government of Sudan (Delegates are under secretaries and senior officials from Sudan Govt.)
• Applications of Six Sigma, Dubai Central Laboratory, Dubai Muncipality
• EFQM Assessor, Sudan Quality Award, Sudanese Supreme Council for Quality & Excellence
• ISO 9001:2000 Quality Management Systems, Suggestions System, Customer Complaints, Service Standards and SLAs
• Journey to Excellence, to Directors, Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Dubai, UAE
• Implementing quality in Education + quality management in health sector, University of Wollongong, Dubai, UAE
• Using Internet in Classroom, TESOL Arabia, Fujairah Chapter, Fujairah, UAE
• Software Applications and Networking technologies, Career Passport, Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs, Fujairah, UAE